Every year when the seasons change, the same thing happens — people around you start coming down with the flu. Whether it’s your kids bringing sickness home from school or your co-workers passing germs, it’s practically inevitable. Flu season affects us all. If you’re required to be around other people in any way, it’s tough to see how to avoid the flu, if it’s even possible. That’s why, if you want to avoid the flu this year, you need more than luck. You have to be proactive with smart prevention strategies. With that in mind, here are five ways to avoid the flu during prime flu season:
- Live a healthy lifestyle. When you practice healthy living, you empower your body to better fight off colds and illness. That’s why some of the best flu prevention measures include taking care of your health: e.g., eating a balanced diet with lots of fruit and vegetables, exercising regularly, getting enough sleep, not smoking, etc. By looking after your body, you set it up to better fight the flu.
- Wash your hands often. It’s as true now as it was in elementary school: You need to wash your hands. Regularly wash your hands with soap and water. Do this thoroughly in order to protect yourself from the spread of germs.
- Stay away from the sick. When a friend has a cold or obvious flu symptoms, keep your distance. It’s not unkind to explain you want to keep the transmission of colds down. You can still be friendly without sharing germs, so minimize your exposure whenever possible.
- Keep clean. Keep your home and workplace sanitized day to day. Spray doorknobs and light switches with sanitizer. Use germ-killing soaps. When something has been contaminated by someone else who’s sick, clean that thoroughly, too.
- Get the flu shot. For the best protection against the flu, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommend getting a yearly flu vaccine. The flu vaccine can protect your body from prolonged illness, which may mean reducing doctors’ visits, helping you miss less work/school, etc. The CDC recommends everyone older than six months get this preventative flu treatment by the end of October.
Your Local Care Provider for Flu Symptoms
As the Chicago immediate care clinic that caters to patients with a wide range of ailments, Lakeview Immediate Care is proud to offer treatment for a variety of cough, chest and lung complaints. If you or a loved one is experiencing flu symptoms, come to us! We have a highly qualified staff providing everything from help with a persistent cough to treatment for flu and cold symptoms. You can set up an appointment or just come in — our walk-in clinic makes it possible to receive care even at the last minute.
Schedule Your Flu Shot Today
Of course, as stated above, the best way to deal with the flu is to prevent getting it in the first place. When you’re interested in stopping the flu before it starts, we’re your local resource for getting an annual flu shot. We’re open seven days a week, 365 days a year, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Just come on in or contact us to set up an appointment!